The town of Lamar was incoprorated in 1856 on the Flint River, with about 200 residents. The town government consisted of town commissioners who were elected by the townspeople. Commissiners must have been White, free, and able to vote. A post office served the town from May 20, 1890 until March 5, 1891 when the mail was re-routed to Cheevertown. The town had a few slump years during the civil war and never really bounced back. Cheevertown had been established up river and many citizens moved there. The U. S. census recorded Lamar as having a population 0 in 1980, however in more recent years some families have moved back.
Newberry Plantation put roadsigns all througout the tiny town of Lamar. Lamar has only a few residents, and only two or three county roads which go into it. (Private Property)