Hoggards Mill was established in the 1870s and had a population of 150 in 1880 according to the census. The town is named such due to the several mills which were located along the Ichauway-Notchaway Creek, these included a saw, gin, and two grist mills. The primary exports from the town were lumber and cotton, like most other settlements in the area. The area first had a Methodist and Baptist church, which also served as public schools. In the 1800s Hoggars Mill had three general stores, three mills, two physicians, and two lawyers. The Hoggards Mill post office opened on September 12, 1877 with James Couch as the postmaster, the post office continued until it was discontinued on September 14, 1907 and mail was rerouted to Mimsville. Jack Chesser was the last serving postmaster elected on 2/7/1896.
Thankful Baptist Church is a Black church serving the Hoggards Mill and Hawkinstown communities.
Pilgrim Home Free Will Baptist Church was organized in the mid 1800s by the White faithful in the Hoggards Mill/Hawkinstown communities to keep from having to take a wagon ride all the way to Travelers Rest Free Will Baptist Church in Pondtown. The church was used until the late 1940s when the congregation moved. A few third and fourth generation members still used the church until the late 1980s/early 1990s. The church was built on the site of the Jackson School, a small White school, which was demolished to make way for the church building. The cemetery was plotted not long after the church was built and the first person to be buried there was Mattie Jewel Hilburn Rouse.
Pilgrim Home Free Will Baptist Cemetery
This is one of the last general stores standing in Hoggards Mill. It closed in the mid eighties, as far as I know. (Private Property)
Ichauway Plantation was created by Mr. Robert Woodruff (President of Coca Cola), (who enjoyed hunting in the area) in 1929 with roughly 36,000 acres. The big house was completed in 1930 and has seven (!) bedrooms. It is known that President Eisenhower was a frequent guest of the Woodruffs. Mr. Woodruff was a nature lover and spent most of his time on Ichauway working with his managers in the Ecology field. Some of the earliest studies of Malaria in the area were conducted on Ichauway with great success, these studies were carried out from 1939-1957. When Mr. Woodruff passed away he gave Ichauway to his Robert W. Woodruff Foundation which transformed it into the Joseph Jones Ecological Research Center. (PRIVATE PROPERTY! Ichauway takes trespassing very seriously due to the ongoing research being done there. TRESPASSERS WILL BE ARRESTED!)
Emory Field Station Memorial
Ichauway Fire Department
Old Hoggards Mill Bridge
Normans Ferry is now a public boat landing on the banks of the Flint River. Norman’s Ferry was an active ferry transportation outlet from the beginnings of the 1800s until the late 1920s. The ferry was founded by J. W. Norman, who built the ferry large enough to hold a man, his family, and/or his horses. The ferry was cable driven and allowed people to cross the Flint into Mitchell County further up from the ferries in Lamar, where Hells Gate Shoals made crossing difficult. The ferry was destroyed in the 20s by the 100 year flood, which literally swept it away. Though he lost his ferry, J. W. was able to save his home by chaining it to nearby trees.
Flint River at Norman’s Ferry