A Brief History of Fish Trap, Baker County

Fish Trap is one of Baker County’s two ghost towns, it is also the oldest settlement in the county. It was founded before any White settlers had even laid eyes on the area. The Native Americans used the Caney Creek as both a water source and, in wet weather, a way to access other settlements by canoe. The Caney Creek and the Notchaway Creek also provided an abundance of fish, which the Indians trapped with a simple stone dam-like structure. The Indians named the village Fish Trap in their language and it was later translated by White settlers. One of the earliest settlers was Mr. Thomas “Tom” Tabb born in 1790. Thomas moved to baker county in 1850 and lived out the rest of his life in Fish Trap before his death. Thomas’s descendants still live in Baker County to this day. During the antebellum years the town was home to several plantations with a large slave labor force, it also was a trading post where goods cold be shipped up and down the creeks. The Fish Trap post office was established on April 28, 1848 with a Mr. William Everett (a miller) serving as the first postmaster. A small mill once sat at the Sheffield Mill Pond serving the town. The downfall of the town began with this post office closing and mail being re-routed to Milford (then known as Mills Ford) in 1852. The last known resident was listed in the Baker County Tax Digest as Samuel Pendry, who was buried in the town’s cemetery…now demolished with no maps or records disclosing it’s location. Fish Trap is a ‘true’ ghost town, meaning that no original structures still stand. The only structure left of Fish Trap’s existence is a small abandoned farmhouse located at the town’s former center the convergences of Ivy’s Mill, Lower Caney Creek, and Williamsburg Roads. Caney Creek Plantation owns much of the land now.