Another one of Anna’s Haunted Ponds, the Wolf Pond has a creepy history. The Wolf Pond is very deep and is really a sprawling swamp at the edge of Ichauway Plantation. During the 1930s strange noises began coming from the swamp during the middle of the night. The Theo Sanders family heard them while sitting on their porch at night. The Sanders family said that the whole area would erupt in a chorus of howls and screams, many of which sounded like the screams of women and children. Many people believe that the screams were actually the calls of Florida Panthers and/or Bobcats. (Private Property)
Known as Anna’s Haunted Pond, the Richardson Pond has an unusual history. The Richardson Pond is a very deep natural pond off of Hudson Road. Around 1900 the land was owned by Theo Sanders who operated a sawmill near the pond. A man with the name of Richardson was working some oxen who were dragging logs near the site. The oxen became very hot and Mr. Richardson let them loose to cool themselves in the pond. The oxen then drowned themselves for no apparent reason. Many locals at the time called the pond cursed and named it Richardson Pond due to the event. (Private Property)
This home sits off of Sunset Avenue (Georgia Highway 200) in the tiny town of Anna. From what I remember a couple of deaf spinsters lived here until their deaths. (Private Property)
Etheridge Lane is a narrow, two-lane county dirt road that veers off of Hudson Road. It dead ends at this abandoned green house once home to the Etheridge family. (Private Property)
Once a General Store, Gain’s Grocery now sits defunct. (Private Property)
Anna’s Courthouse, it should be noted that these buildings are used as voting houses, and not actual courthouses. Larger unincorporated towns usually have them to serve the voting district.
Live Oak Free Will Baptist Church was established in 1884 by Warren McDonald. It was seated under a grove of oak trees thus earning its name. In 1908 a second two-story church was built. It was also used by Woodmen of the World for their regular monthly meetings. This church was renovated in the 1950s. In 1976 a third and final church was built (seen above). It was dedicated on July 16, 1977.
Here is the original structure and an early pastor Brother (Reverend) J. G. Harris.
The meeting hall.
Inside, looking toward the alter.
One of two small Sunday School rooms.
Live Oak Free Will Baptist Cemetery
Judging from the size of this grave it belongs to a child.
* Historical photos were taken from The History of Baker County by the Baker County Historical Society.